Learning how to cook isn’t so hard anymore. Tools like YouTube and the internet make it easy for people to learn new skills. Those who are interested in cooking can simply download a recipe or a cooking video and they’re all set to cook. In my case, I learned more from family members who can do wonders in the kitchen rather than the internet. My mom and her sisters have been sharing some of their kitchen tricks and recipes with me for quite some time now. This month my Tita Rory is showing me how to make baked dishes for lunch and dinner. These are meals that you can pop in the oven and just come back for it when it’s done. A great time saver for work at home moms and those who don’t have help around the house. We started off with Tita Rory’s Sweet and Sour Meatballs Recipe.
1/3 kg Lean Ground Beef
½ kg Lean Ground Pork
2 cloves garlic minced
1/3 cup bread crumbs from left over pan de sal
1 pc Sky Flakes soda crackers pounded into crumbs
1 tablespoon milk
1 medium sized egg
2 teaspoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Approx. ½ teaspoon of dried basil leaves
Approx. 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/8 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
1/8 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese
- Mix ground beef and ground pork.
- Put minced garlic, grated mozzarella and cheddar cheese, bread crumbs, and soda cracker crumbs.
- Beat the egg in a bowl together with 1 tablespoon milk.
- Add the egg and milk to the meat mixture.
- Season with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Add rosemary and basil then mix evenly
- Let mixture sit for at least half an hour for the flavors to blend.
- Slice Mozarella Cheese into small cubes.
- Get 1 teaspoon of meat from the mixture and make a patty approx. 1 ¼ inch in diameter.
- Put a cheese cube in the center and cover with another teaspoon of meat.
- Shape it into a ball with the cheese at the center.
- Line baking pan with foil and brush surface with olive oil.
- Put meat balls in the pan.
- Pre-heat oven at 180-190 ˚C before placing the pan in the oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
**This recipe makes 30 pcs of meatballs.
Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
1 clove garlic sliced
½ cup Brown Sugar
½ cup vinegar
salt and soy sauce to taste
¼ cup water
½ teaspoon flour or cornstarch to thicken
- Saute garlic
- Add water, sugar and vinegar
- Mix well until sugar has melted
- Let it simmer
- Dilute cornstarch in water and soy sauce then add it to the sauce.
- Season with a dash of salt and soy sauce. You may add more salt or soy sauce depending on your taste preference.
- Let is simmer for a few minutes then remove from heat.
Once the sauce is ready, you may add the meat balls and let it simmer for a minute or two. Tita Rory’s Sweet and Sour Meatballs Recipe is fun and easy. Moms and kids can do this recipe together for their kitchen bonding activity. They can also have fun eating the meatballs with the cheese surprise in the middle. We simply placed the meatballs on a dish with the sweet and sour sauce on the side. If you want to be creative with your plating, then you can modify the sauce recipe by adding some onion and tomatoes in it. Cut the veggies into 6-8 pieces and put it in the sauce to add more flavour and garnish on your dish.